Back to news

League News

Caister United A 0 Town Hall 8

  • 16/10/05
Football image

Betts goal the pick of the bunch as Hall demolish Caister

After last weeks disappointing narrow defeat,and a few harsh words to certain individuals,the response was emphatic.Hall beat a sporting Caister A side 8-0 in the first round of the Wiltshire Cup.Hall had an early set back after 18 minutes with Gary Skoyles unable to continue due to a recurring foot injury.His replacement Ryan Huggins had an immediate impact on the game,releasing Dale Smith for a fine run in the inside right channel and delivering a killer ball into the box for Richard Jepps to finish first time from six yards.Jamie Gallant then thought he had doubled Hall's lead with a fine drive,only to find that a another Hall player had deemed to have strayed offside.There was no mistaking Hall's second when it did arrive,on 30 minutes Sam Betts won possession in midfield and from fully 35 yards struck a screamer of a shot into the top corner to give the keeper no chance.It was even better than his goal first game of the season, and that is going some.Its seems Bettsy only goes for the spectacular these days and ignores the tap ins.Right on half time Dale Smith played provider again, playing in Ryan Huggins who finished well from an acute angle to register his first goal for the club and put Hall firmly in the driving seat at the break 3-0.

The second half saw Hall extend their lead,Steven Forsyth's run saw him upended in the box and Rob Leggett duly converted the penalty.Jamie Gallant hit the same post twice before eventually scoring from close range and a Ryan Huggins cross came back off the bar,but Steven Forsyth was on to it in a flash to convert with a half volley.Hall were playing some good stuff,working hard for one another and everyone wanting the ball.When Caister did have possession Hall worked as a team immediately pressing them all over the park.Rob Leggett now playing up front broke clear to add the seventh, before Hall were reduced to ten men through injury,with five minutes remaining left back Johnny Rix suffered what looks like a nasty knee injury.Caister sensed their opportunity for a consolation, but the stubborn Hall defence who never looked like conceding all day were determined to end their day with a clean sheet.To rub salt into Caister's wounds they absorbed the pressure and caught them on the break with Rob Leggett again racing away to nutmeg the keeper for his hat trick and Hall's eighth on the stroke of full time.Final score 8-0.